Remote GPS for your iPad or iPhone!
This reliable GPS is easy to use, with a dedicated on/off button and built-in battery. Communicates via Bluetooth with all iPad models, iPhone, iPod Touch, and many Android®, Windows®, and Blackberry® smart phones and tablets. It's a great way to get reliable, accurate position information for use with popular apps like ForeFlight, Wing X and more. Just turn it on and fly – no setup required.
- High-sensitivity GPS receiver works with most apps that require GPS
- Wirelessly connects to devices via Bluetooth
- Rechargeable battery lasts up to 8.5 hours
- USB charging via the included USB cable
- Includes a non-slip dashboard pad
- Includes an adjustable strap to attach to an arm or a backpack
- Includes 12V car charger
Also comes with a useful GPS Status Tool app (Available Free on the iTunes store). The app is a simple utility application that shows detailed information including:
- Your location (or whether the device is still determining where you are)
- How many satellites the device sees and the signal strength of each satellite
- The battery level of the unit and whether or not it is charging
- Confirmation the receiver is successfully connected to your iPad/iPod touch/iPhone
Do I Need an External iPad GPS?
The 3G model of the iPad, in addition to its built-in cellular antenna, also includes an internal GPS. The GPS is completely separate from the 3G data service, so you don’t even have to have an active data plan for the GPS to work. You could buy the 3G model purely for the GPS and never activate the data plan, saving yourself some money. But the on-board iPad GPS was made for ground use, and it’s not very reliable in the air. It has a tendency to drop offline, especially when switching between apps. For this reason, most iPad pilots—even those with a 3G iPad—opt for an external GPS. They are extremely accurate (WAAS-enabled) and very reliable. They also offer free apps that allow you to monitor the GPS’s performance.
"...we recommend using an external GPS with the iPad if you want reliable GPS data."
"...it performed flawlessly on our test flight home from Oshkosh."
-- The Aviation Consumer