The Ultimate Instrument Rating Package
These all-in-one kits from Sporty’s include absolutely everything you need to start flying or earn an instrument rating. Don’t be fooled by other, inferior kits—ours feature high-quality Flight Gear® bags (with custom embroidery options), complete and interactive courses, and pilot supplies designed and tested by real pilots. An easy way to get everything you need at a great price, these kits also make a terrific gift.
- Online access to Sporty's Instrument Rating Course (Online and App)
- Sporty's Flight Gear HP Captain's Bag
- Sporty's Electronic E6B Flight Computer
- Instant IFR Training Glasses
- Flight Gear Timer
- Instrument Flying Handbook
- Instrument Procedures Handbook
- Sporty's Instrument Pilot Maneuvers Guide
- Instrument Chart Plotter
- 2 partial panel simulators
2018 COURSE NOW AVAILABLE
Our Biggest Update Yet!
Adding an instrument rating or getting current has never been easier, thanks to Sporty’s 2018 Instrument Rating Course. It's everything you need to prepare for your written test and earn your instrument rating, with ground school, test prep, and real-world training - all in one easy-to-use package.
- Three formats for the same price: get the online course, iPad/iPhone app, and Apple TV app at no additional cost
- Automatic progress sync: seamlessly switch between devices
- All-new iOS app: every course feature works on iPad and iPhone
- Flight instructor tracking: invite your CFI to monitor your progress
- Review notes with each video: quickly review segments with text and video
- Enhanced review quizzes: quick checks regularly test your knowledge
8 reasons pilots prefer Sporty's courses:
1. SAVE TIME AND MONEY
For the cost of a single flight lesson, our course will save you hours of time in the air and hundreds of dollars. The step-by-step video lessons are better than ground school, helping you prepare for your next flight lesson ahead of time so you spend less time reviewing and more time learning.
2. Get your written test endorsement
Ace the written with our interactive test preparation program. You can create customized study sessions from the actual FAA test questions and see the right and wrong answers, plus plain English explanations written by our team of CFIs. Then, take a practice test that simulates the real knowledge exam you'll have to pass. We’ll even give you the flight instructor endorsement to take the written test—right from the course! You can take this endorsement to the FAA testing center, and log it in your ForeFlight logbook.
3. PASS ALL YOUR TESTS—GUARANTEED!
Our course is so complete we guarantee you’ll pass all three tests: the written, oral and flight. Incredible 3D animations and dynamic in-flight video make complicated subjects like aerodynamics and weather easy to understand, so you’ll impress the examiner. Plus, our Airman Certification Standards Study Guide cross-references every required task to the videos, making it easy to review for the checkride.
4. BE READY FOR REAL-WORLD FLYING
Becoming an instrument pilot means a lot more than just passing a test. That’s why Sporty’s course goes beyond the textbook to teach you real world flying, making you a safer, more confident pilot. Special Air Facts segments with renowned aviation author Richard Collins are packed with no-nonsense tips you can use after the checkride.
5. INCLUDES THE NEW AIRMAN CERTIFICATION STANDARDS
Sporty's courses are famous for being the most up-to-date and complete training products available. That focus continues with the FAA's introduction of new Airman Certification Standards (ACS). Our Learn to Fly Course includes the full text of this document - your guide to the checkride - and cross-references each task to the video segments. Our course also emphasizes deep understanding instead of just memorizing questions, something the FAA now discourages.
6. THREE CONVENIENT FORMATS AVAILABLE
Study anywhere, anytime – one purchase includes access to our online learning platform, our iPhone/iPad app, and our Apple TV app. Your time is valuable, so we offer our complete course in a variety of formats to suit different needs. Choose the one that is best for you, and switch back and forth at any time with automatic progress sync. Our course works on PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, tablets, smartphones and even Apple TV.
7. ASK A CFI
If you're stumped by a difficult subject, talk to the experienced flight instructors at Sporty's. Just click the Ask a CFI button to send a message.
8. FOREFLIGHT LOGBOOK INTEGRATION
When you've completed the course and received your written test endorsement, you can log it in your ForeFlight digital logbook - complete with instructor signature!
- Triple Guarantee means you’ll pass all three tests to earn your license or we’ll refund your money in full.
- Award-winning video shot in and around airplanes – not a classroom.
- Incredible 3D animations explain complicated subjects.
- Air Facts segments with legendary author Richard L. Collins.
- Written Test Endorsement available right from the course.
- Airman Certification Standards cross-referenced to the video.
- Training Course Outline offers a complete, lesson-by-lesson syllabus.
- Maneuvers guide shows everything you'll have to do on the checkride.
- Earn FAA WINGS credit and save on your insurance.
- Automatic updates mean you learn the latest information.
Try the course for free!
Already own the course? Sign in here:
- Access the online course here, and sign in with your sportys.com account.
- Download the free Sporty's Pilot Training app in the App Store, then sign in with your sportys.com account.
The instrument training experts
At Sporty’s, we pioneered weekend instrument ground schools over 50 years ago, traveling the country to teach pilots the keys to IFR flying in just 3 days. Today, we operate an active flight school at our home airport (I69) with over 100 flight students. This everyday practical experience with instrument students makes us uniquely qualified to offer the most complete, up-to-date training courses available. When you learn with Sporty’s, you’re learning from the best.
Train at Sporty's Academy
Ready to put that instrument knowledge to work? You can earn your instrument rating at the home of Sporty’s Pilot Shop in Cincinnati, Ohio. Train with the same instructional staff that brings you Sporty’s Complete Instrument Rating Course on DVD or online. Based at Clermont County Airport (I69), Sporty’s Flight Training Center offers accelerated instrument training in an impeccable fleet of well-equipped aircraft. SportysAcademy.com or email Fly@SportysAcademy.com
What you'll learn
Volume 1 - Instrument Flying Fundamentals
- The IFR Flight
- The Instrument Rating Standards
- The Instrument Scan, Primary & Supporting Instruments
- Straight & Level, Climbs & Descents
- Closer Look: Ground Training Devices
- Air Facts—Staying Cool Under Fire
- Turns and Steep Turns
- Air Facts—Being Actively Passive
- Partial Panel
- Air Facts—The Good Old Days
- Vacuum & Pressure Systems
- Course Preview
Volume 2 - Air Traffic Control & IFR
- Separation & Other Standards
- The Basic Structure
- Air Facts—Talking To Controllers
- IFR En Route
- Terminal Area Operations
- Closer Look—Air Traffic Control Radar
- IFR Communications
- Air Facts—ATC Technology
- Learning The System
- Air Facts—Flight Plans, Fact & Fiction
- The Pilot’s Role In The System
- Closer Look—Transponders
Volume 3 - Instrument Approaches
- The Goal
- Approach Chart Details
- Flying The Localizer
- Flying The Glide Slope
- Air Facts—The Simple Facts
- Unusual Approaches
- Air Facts—Vectors
- Flying VOR Approaches
- Closer Look—Procedure Turns
- ADF Tracking & Intercepts
- Air Facts—It’s Over Yonder
- NDB Approaches
- Circling Approaches
- Visual Descent Points And DME
- Air Facts—So Many Numbers, So Little Time
- Flying DME Arcs
- Global Navigation Satellite System
- GPS Approaches
Volume 4 - En Route IFR
- Flight Planning & Chart Reading
- Closer Look—FAA vs. Jeppesen
- Checking Weather
- Air Facts: A PC 4 IFR? OK
- Building Margins
- Air Facts—Conquering Cockpit Clutter
- En Route Planning
- Closer Look—Approach Lighting Systems
- Planning For The Approach
- Air Facts—Check It Out
- Closer Look—Designer Approaches
- Going To An Alternate
- Air Facts—What Is The Alternative?
Volume 5 - Weather For IFR
- Getting Weather Oriented
- Air Facts--Ice as a Practical Matter
- Closer Look—De-Icing Systems
- Closer Look—Thunderstorm Research
- Cockpit Weather Information
- Cockpit Weather Information
- Below Minimum Weather
- Air Facts—Reading The Weather Signs
- Middle Altitude Weather
- Air Facts—Nighttime Weather
Volume 6 - Advanced IFR
- Trainer To High Performance
- Flight Director And HSI
- Closer Look—IFR Resources
- IFR Use Of The Autopilot
- Air Facts—Night IFR
- Engine Instrumentation
- Air Facts—Keeping It Running
- Principles Of Turbocharging
- Oxygen Use
- Closer Look—Flight Level Rules & Regulations
- Global Navigation Satellite System
- GPS Approaches
- Air Facts—Is There An All-Weather Airplane?
Volume 7 - FARs and Your Instrument Test
- IFR Weather
- Closer Look—Computer Testing
- IFR Weather Data
- Practical & Oral Test
- Closer Look—Test Taking Tips
- Federal Aviation Regulations
- Communications Loss Procedures
- Air Facts—Communications Loss
- Aircraft Instruments
- Closer Look—Instrument Failure
- Clearances And Flight Plans
- Air Facts—Glass Checkride
- ATC Expectations
App Update HistoryWhat's New in Version 1.9
- October 13, 2016
- new feature: try out the written test prep component in the free version of the app - iOS 10 compatibility updates What's New in Version 1.8
- June 15, 2016
- includes the new Airman Certification Standards (ACS) for the instrument rating, including the ability to review video segments directly from each task in the ACS
- added the latest FAA test questions to the written test prep component of the course What's New in Version 1.7.6
- January 6, 2016
Now includes iOS 9 Picture-in-Picture video playback, allowing you to continue to watch videos segments while interacting with other features in the app.
What's New in Version 1.7.3 - September 3, 2015
• Upgraded for compatibility with iOS 9
What's New in Version 1.7.2 - March 25, 2015
• We've enhanced the Knowledge Test Endorsement request feature -- you'll now receive your endorsement certificate immediately after completing the course.
• Includes the option to request FAA Wings credit immediately after course completion What's New in Version 1.7
- September 26, 2014
• Upgraded for compatibility with iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 Plus
• Performance improvements and bug fixes
What's New in Version 1.6 - May 6, 2014
- New Achievements feature allows you to earn flight training achievements as you progress throughout the course. After completing video segments, test prep sessions, flight maneuvers and more, you'll be presented with the option to share these accomplishments with your flight instructor, family or friends with convenient Twitter, Facebook, mail and messaging options.
- New Progress section displays a snapshot of your video training progress and an overview of your test prep scores.
What's New in Version 1.5 - February 17, 2014
- Includes a new figure viewer display that allows you to view all FAA figures and legends when answering a question, not just the one required for the question you're currently viewing
- You'll now see the question text in the same window as the figure viewer to make it easier to answer questions requiring a figure
- Interface improvements for iOS 7
What's New in Version 1.4 - December 13, 2013
- Added review quizzes after the video segments containing FAA test question covering content from that segment
What's New in Version 1.3 - November 20, 2013
- New written test progress reports store a detailed history of all test prep sessions for later review
- Added ability to pause a written test prep session and resume it later
- Video training includes a resume feature, allowing you to watch part of a video segment and return later to resume viewing at the spot you left off
- Added all test prep figures to main menu, allowing review when outside of a session
- New iCloud features: all test prep progress reports and video progress is stored in iCloud and always kept in sync among all your devices
What's New in Version 1.0 - January 11, 2013
- Initial launch of Sporty's award-winning Instrument Rating Course in a new dedicated mobile app format for iPhone and iPad:
- Includes over 13 hours of high-quality streaming video and animations with training for all 3 tests required for the Instrument Rating--Written, Oral and Flight tests
- Offers the ability to save video segments for offline viewing when internet is not available
- Universal aviation app – purchase once and use it on all your devices
Accepted for FAA Wings Credit
Step by Step Embroidery Instructions
- Please specify embroidery option.
See all embroidery options
- Please specify silhouette or logo
See all silhouette options See all logo options
- Please specify one or two lines of custom embroidery (15 characters per line including spaces) (See examples below)
| CESSNA 182 |
| CHIEF PILOT|
| I'D RATHER |