Garmin has a well-deserved reputation for making the best portable GPSs for pilots. Now many of these same great features are available on your iPhone, iPad and Android devices, with the introduction of the Garmin Pilot aviation app. This comprehensive program includes all digital charts, from sectionals to IFR en route charts to approach plates, plus detailed airport data. In addition, the powerful flight planning page allows you to plan, brief and file flight plans. There’s even Garmin’s famous panel page view of GPS-derived flight instruments. Everything is easy to get to, with Garmin’s cockpit-friendly menu that mirrors current Garmin portables and the GTN line of panel navigators.
Garmin Pilot is a comprehensive suite of tools for the iPhone, iPad and Android, designed specifically for general aviation and corporate pilots. Flight planning, DUAT(S) filing, charts, interactive maps, weather briefing resources and navigation capabilities; it’s all included. The app’s intuitive interface mirrors those on the newest Garmin touchscreen avionics so you can go seamlessly from preflight to inflight. Plan, file, fly with Garmin Pilot.
Garmin Pilot’s powerful capabilities start with pre-flight planning, providing pilots with the most comprehensive aviation weather information to make better-informed flight decisions. Pilots can check NEXRAD radar, visible and infrared cloud imagery, METARs, TAFs, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, PIREPs, NOTAMs, winds and temperature aloft, PIREPs, TFRs and lightning data. With Garmin Pilot, data can be displayed over a VFR sectional or an IFR low or high en-route chart to visualize the weather for your route. Add text-based weather widgets and use the exclusive NavTrack feature to view weather along the planned route. Long-press any location on the map and the new Radial Menu provides easy access to navigation information, including: airports, navaids, current METARs, direct-to, airspaces, creating a waypoint and allowing for graphical editing of a flight plan.
With Garmin Pilot, users can easily enter a flight plan and interactively edit it on the map. Pre-loaded forms make it quick to save and reuse data for frequently flown routes. And when the flight plan is ready, Garmin Pilot makes it simple to file, amend or close the flight plan via DTC DUAT or CSC DUATS. Electronic confirmations from DUAT(S) meet FAA legal briefing requirements.
Garmin Pilot provides full en-route navigation capability on its moving map, while showing ETE, ETA, crosstrack error, distance to waypoint and current position. Pilots can also navigate with Garmin’s patented panel, a GPS-driven instrument pack with a graphical HSI directional display and indicators for groundspeed, altitude and vertical speed. After takeoff, pilots can continue to view real-time weather information by wirelessly connecting to Garmin’s GDL 39 ADS-B receiver (sold separately). For the ultimate in situational awareness, turn on the incredible synthetic vision display (premium subscription required).
- Track up or North up navigation (when connected to GPS source)
- Dynamic maps provide VFR and IFR-style moving maps that automatically declutter
- Charts: VFR Sectionals, low and high IFR en-route, airport diagrams and approach procedures
- Optional geo-referenced Garmin FliteCharts® and Garmin SafeTaxi® show aircraft position on approach charts and taxiways
- Optional Synthetic Vision display with terrain, obstacles and traffic
- Optional terrain and obstacle display with pop-up alerts
- Weather Maps: Animated radar, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, Lightning, PIREPs, METARs, TAFs, Winds Aloft, TFRs, Infrared and Visible Satellite
- Extensive text products: METARs, TAFs, Winds Aloft, PIREPs, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, Area Forecasts and NOTAMs
- Dynamic weather overlaid with your route on top of a sectional, en-route chart, or map
- AOPA Airport Directory
- Flight plan filing via DUAT(S)
- Garmin patented navigation panel
- Comprehensive weather data direct from the National Weather Service and Environment Canada
- Automatic pilot logbook feature
Only available in the United States. Works on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch; requires iOS 7 or higher. Works on Android phones and tablets; requires Android version 2.2 and higher. Nexus 7 and Galaxy Tab 2 are supported; Kindle Fire and Nook HD are not supported. One account works with up to two devices, including iOS and Android.
Subscription levels (valid for one year):
|Standard||Includes panel page, dynamic maps, sectionals, IFR en route charts, obstacles and FliteCharts (approach charts, departures and arrivals).|
|IFR premium||Includes everything in the standard package, plus synthetic vision, terrain/obstacle alerts, SafeTaxi diagrams and geo-referenced approach charts.|
Already bought a subscription to iOS Garmin Pilot? Download the free app here.
Already bought a subscription to Android Garmin Pilot? Download the free app here.
Read the Garmin iOS Pilot Pilot's Guide
Read the Garmin Android Pilot Pilot's Guide