The Ultimate Instrument Rating Package
INCLUDES ONLINE, APP AND TV FORMATS!
These all-in-one kits from Sporty’s include absolutely everything you need to start flying or earn an instrument rating. Don’t be fooled by other, inferior kits—ours feature high-quality Flight Gear® bags (with custom embroidery options), complete and interactive courses, and pilot supplies designed and tested by real pilots. An easy way to get everything you need at a great price, these kits also make a terrific gift.
- Sporty's Instrument Rating Course (Online, iOS App, Android App, Apple TV app, Roku channel)
- Sporty's Flight Gear HP Captain's Bag
- Sporty's Electronic E6B Flight Computer
- Instant IFR Training Glasses
- Flight Gear Timer
- Instrument Flying Handbook
- Instrument Procedures Handbook
- Sporty's Instrument Pilot Maneuvers Guide
- Instrument Chart Plotter
- 2 partial panel simulators
2020 edition now available
Ace your FAA written test, save money during flight training, and become a better pilot with Sporty’s 2020 Instrument Rating Course. Over 12 hours of HD video and animations explain everything you need to know to earn your Instrument Rating and feel confident in the clouds. Combine that with powerful test prep tools, a comprehensive document library, and convenient app options, and you have aviation’s most complete training course.
- Expanded video segments cover important topics like ILS approaches, holding patterns, in-flight weather resources, flying with electronic flight bags, and more.
- New test prep tools in Sporty’s Pilot Training app for iOS and Android allow you to focus on your weakest areas by tracking progress in dozens of subject areas, then creating smart study sessions.
- Chromecast integration and a RokuTV channel (in addition to our existing Apple TV app) mean you can watch Sporty’s videos anywhere - even your smart TV. And your progress always stays in sync.
- An FAA library offers access to 25 popular resources, from the Airplane Flying Handbook to important Advisory Circulars - over $300 in books for free. The Pilot Training app includes powerful PDF tools like bookmarks and search.
- Video review notes make it easy to review the key points from every video segment. Included free with the course, it’s easy to read as you watch each segment, or print out the entire document for use as a refresher.
- A redesigned online training portal is simpler, faster, and mobile-friendly. It’s easy to use on all your devices, and there’s no software to download. Perfect for on-the-go studying.
- Free lifetime updates mean you’ll always have access to the latest information and study tools. This includes all platforms, from your phone to your TV. There are no subscriptions and no upgrade fees.
10 reasons pilots prefer Sporty's courses:
1. Five formats, one price
We know you’re busy, so our course is available almost anywhere. Use our online learning platform for complete access to videos and quizzes anywhere you have an internet connection. There’s no software to install – just log in and start learning. Or use our dedicated mobile apps for iPad, iPhone, Android, Apple TV, and Roku, which allow you to download videos for offline viewing. Progress automatically syncs between all formats so you can start a study session on your phone and finish on your laptop without missing a beat.
2. Get your written test endorsement
When you complete the course, we’ll give you the flight instructor endorsement to take the written test—instantly! You can take this endorsement to the FAA testing center, and log it in your ForeFlight logbook. It's complete preparation for the FAA Knowledge Test.
3. Pass all your tests—guaranteed!
Our course is so complete we guarantee you’ll pass all three tests: the written, oral and flight. Our video segments make complicated subjects like aerodynamics and weather easy to understand, so you’ll impress the examiner. Plus, our Airman Certification Standards Study Guide cross-references every required task to the videos, making it easy to review for the checkride.
4. Dynamic in-flight video
Sporty’s courses are famous for their HD video and 3D animations. Not a boring ground school, we put you in the cockpit for a real world look at what flying is all about. You’ll see low instrument approaches from the left seat, and you’ll hear real world communications with air traffic control. Plus, each video segment includes helpful review notes for efficient studying, and many also have review quizzes to reinforce key concepts.
5. 27 fully-narrated hd maneuvers
In addition to the comprehensive video segments, Sporty’s Instrument Rating course also includes a detailed maneuvers guide. All 27 maneuvers you might be tested on are included, with a 3D animation of the maneuver, narrated procedures, common errors, and completion standards. It’s a great way to review for the checkride.
6. Powerful test prep tools
You’ll ace the written test with our interactive tools. Create customized study sessions from the actual FAA test questions and see the right and wrong answers, plus plain English explanations written by our team of CFIs. Detailed analytics show you which areas need the most help, and allow you to study only the questions you’ve missed. Then, take a practice test that simulates the real knowledge exam you'll have to pass.
7. Flight instructor tracking
We make it easy for your instructor to follow your progress through the course, so you always stay in sync with your in-person lessons. Invite a CFI to see your practice test scores and review your video progress.
8. Ask a CFI
If you're stumped by a difficult subject, talk to the experienced flight instructors at Sporty's. We have a team of over 25 CFIs on staff at our flight school, training students every day just like you, so they can offer quick, helpful answers. Just click the Ask a CFI button to send a message.
9. COMPLETE TRAINING SYLLABUS AND ACS
Research shows that pilots learn better when they use a high quality syllabus. We include a complete Training Course Outline as part of our course – the same one we use in our flight school. It includes detailed outlines for both ground and flight lessons. Think of it as a bridge between your at-home study and flight training. Our course also includes the full text of the FAA’s Airman Certification Standards (ACS) - your guide to the checkride - and cross-references each task to the video segments.
10. FREE LIFETIME UPDATES
When you buy a Sporty's course, you're gaining access to a a training platform that's always up to date and always improving. We are continually adding new video segments to reflect new regulations and technology. We also refresh our FAA test question database regularly, so you don't study outdated topics. There's no additional fee or subscription to receive these updates - just log in and learn!
MORE POWERFUL FEATURES:
- Download videos for offline viewing in the app or stream them with an internet connection.
- Automatic progress sync between all formats.
- Air Facts segments go beyond the textbook to make you a proficient pilot.
- Review notes and quick quizzes after most videos help you review your progress.
- Closed captioned videos help students whose first language is not English.
- Connect to your ForeFlight logbook to log your written test endorsement.
- Earn FAA WINGS credit and save on your insurance.
- Automatic updates mean you learn the latest information.
SPORTY'S FLIGHT CREW
Want unlimited access to Sporty's courses plus free shipping and flight training scholarships? Join Sporty's Flight Crew, an all-in-one membership program that includes access to our Learn to Fly Course, plus much more. Plans start at just $39.99/month. Click here for details
AVAILABLE ON ALL YOUR DEVICES:
Online Course using a web browser – Login here
iPhone/iPad in Sporty's Pilot Training app – Apple App Store
AppleTV app – 4th Generation AppleTV or newer
Android in Sporty's Pilot Training app – Google Play Store
RokuTV App – search for the Sporty's Pilot Training Channel on your Roku device
THE INSTRUMENT TRAINING EXPERTS
At Sporty’s, we pioneered weekend instrument ground schools over 50 years ago, traveling the country to teach pilots the keys to IFR flying in just 3 days. Today, we operate an active flight school at our home airport (I69) with over 100 flight students. This everyday practical experience with instrument students makes us uniquely qualified to offer the most complete, up-to-date training courses available. When you learn with Sporty’s, you’re learning from the best.
TRAIN AT SPORTY'S ACADEMY
Ready to put that instrument knowledge to work? You can earn your instrument rating at the home of Sporty’s Pilot Shop in Cincinnati, Ohio. Train with the same instructional staff that brings you Sporty’s Complete Instrument Rating Course on DVD or online. Based at Clermont County Airport (I69), Sporty’s Flight Training Center offers accelerated instrument training in an impeccable fleet of well-equipped aircraft. SportysAcademy.com or email Fly@SportysAcademy.com
What you'll learn
Volume 1 - Instrument Flying Fundamentals
- The IFR Flight
- The Instrument Rating Standards
- The Instrument Scan, Primary & Supporting Instruments
- Straight & Level, Climbs & Descents
- Closer Look: Ground Training Devices
- Air Facts—Staying Cool Under Fire
- Turns and Steep Turns
- Air Facts—Being Actively Passive
- Partial Panel
- Air Facts—The Good Old Days
- Vacuum & Pressure Systems
- Course Preview
Volume 2 - Air Traffic Control & IFR
- Separation & Other Standards
- The Basic Structure
- Air Facts—Talking To Controllers
- IFR En Route
- Terminal Area Operations
- Closer Look—Air Traffic Control Radar
- IFR Communications
- Air Facts—ATC Technology
- Learning The System
- Air Facts—Flight Plans, Fact & Fiction
- The Pilot’s Role In The System
- Closer Look—Transponders
Volume 3 - Instrument Approaches
- The Goal
- Approach Chart Details
- Flying The Localizer
- Flying The Glide Slope
- Air Facts—The Simple Facts
- Unusual Approaches
- Air Facts—Vectors
- Flying VOR Approaches
- Closer Look—Procedure Turns
- ADF Tracking & Intercepts
- Air Facts—It’s Over Yonder
- NDB Approaches
- Circling Approaches
- Visual Descent Points And DME
- Air Facts—So Many Numbers, So Little Time
- Flying DME Arcs
- Global Navigation Satellite System
- GPS Approaches
Volume 4 - En Route IFR
- Flight Planning & Chart Reading
- Closer Look—FAA vs. Jeppesen
- Checking Weather
- Air Facts: A PC 4 IFR? OK
- Building Margins
- Air Facts—Conquering Cockpit Clutter
- En Route Planning
- Closer Look—Approach Lighting Systems
- Planning For The Approach
- Air Facts—Check It Out
- Closer Look—Designer Approaches
- Going To An Alternate
- Air Facts—What Is The Alternative?
Volume 5 - Weather For IFR
- Getting Weather Oriented
- Air Facts--Ice as a Practical Matter
- Closer Look—De-Icing Systems
- Closer Look—Thunderstorm Research
- Cockpit Weather Information
- Cockpit Weather Information
- Below Minimum Weather
- Air Facts—Reading The Weather Signs
- Middle Altitude Weather
- Air Facts—Nighttime Weather
Volume 6 - Advanced IFR
- Trainer To High Performance
- Flight Director And HSI
- Closer Look—IFR Resources
- IFR Use Of The Autopilot
- Air Facts—Night IFR
- Engine Instrumentation
- Air Facts—Keeping It Running
- Principles Of Turbocharging
- Oxygen Use
- Closer Look—Flight Level Rules & Regulations
- Global Navigation Satellite System
- GPS Approaches
- Air Facts—Is There An All-Weather Airplane?
Volume 7 - FARs and Your Instrument Test
- IFR Weather
- Closer Look—Computer Testing
- IFR Weather Data
- Practical & Oral Test
- Closer Look—Test Taking Tips
- Federal Aviation Regulations
- Communications Loss Procedures
- Air Facts—Communications Loss
- Aircraft Instruments
- Closer Look—Instrument Failure
- Clearances And Flight Plans
- Air Facts—Glass Checkride
- ATC Expectations
Course Update History
What's New in Version 3.5 - June 7, 2019
The Instrument Rating Course in the mobile Pilot Training app for iOS and Android now includes all the FAA Handbooks for convenient studying. These are viewable in a new powerful document reader in both app platforms, that allows for easier reading, searching and bookmarking when viewing each document.
What's New in Version 3.4 - May 15, 2019
New HD video segments added on flying instrument approaches, including approach chart analysis, flying an ILS (localizer and glideslope), ATC vectors, VOR approaches, procedure turns and holding patterns.
What's New in Version 3.3 - January 31, 2019
New Sporty's Roku Pilot Training Channel allows you to access the Instrument Rating Course on the popular Roku smartTV platform. Also adds Chromecast support for the Android version of the Pilot Training app.
What's New in Version 3.2 - What's New in Version 3.2 - December 23, 2018
The iPhone and iPad apps were updated with an improved Test Prep interface. The new design includes colorblind accessibility enhancements and provides a better experience when studying for FAA tests on the iPhone's smaller screen.
What's New in Version 3.1 - December 7, 2018
The Android app now includes complete FAA test prep features, allowing you to study test prep questions, answers and detailed explanations for the Instrument Rating test. The app also now allows you to take simulated practice tests and earn your knowledge test endorsement based on your Android test results.
What's New in Version 3.0 - October 24, 2018
Updated to the new Sporty's 2019 Instrument Rating Course
Online Course Features
- Video Search: quickly find a specific video segment based on a keyword search
- All new FAA Test Prep: a new faster test prep module features 3 new study modes, Smart Study, Marked Question Study and Incorrectly Answered Questions study
- Test Prep Analytics: see detailed reports on past performance in each category of question
- Test Prep Answer References: each question includes a link to view the specific FAA reference book or resource from which the question is based.
- CFI Progress Sharing: this feature was enhanced to allow you to share the specific video segments you've completed, and how you answered each question on practice tests
- FAA Handbooks: quick access to all the FAA handbooks and reference guides
NEW Android App
- view all the video segments on an Android phone or tablet
- study test prep questions in Learning and Test Modes
- progress automatically syncs with the online course and iOS app
- Android app access is automatically included with the 2019 Instrument Rating Course
- Video Search: quickly find a specific video segment based on a keyword search
- Test Prep Answer References: each question includes a link to view the specific FAA reference book or resource from which the question is based
What's New in Version 2.3 - August 1, 2018
The second volume of the Instrument Rating Course, Air Traffic Control, was updated with all new HD video content. New segments were also added on Departure and Arrival Procedures, ATC Technology, IFR Communication tips, IFR flight plan analysis, ADS-B transponders and GPS.
What's New in Version 2.2 - February 15, 2018
The first volume of the Instrument Rating Course, Instrument Flying Fundamentals, was updated with all new HD video content. New segments were also added on using flight simulator during your training, dealing with turbulence and increased workload in the clouds, incorporating an EFB (iPad) into your instrument flying and tips for flying with a glass cockpit instrument panel.
The Instrument Rating Course iOS app for iPhone/iPad was also updated to prevent downloaded video files from being included in daily iCloud backups.
What's New in Version 2.1 - December 28, 2017
The Instrument Flight Maneuvers Guide added 25 new narrated HD animations showing how to fly each type of instrument approach, holding patterns and more.
What's New in Version 2.0.1 - November 13, 2017
The Instrument Rating Course iOS app for iPhone/iPad adds support for iPhone X. The video player in the app was updated to include a faster and improved video player with new features: rewind/fast-forward 15 seconds, AirPlay directly to AppleTV, video subtitles.
What's New in Version 2.0 - October 19, 2017
The 2018 Instrument Rating Course now includes all 3 platforms for the same price: online, iPhone/iPad app and AppleTV app. This update also adds a new tracking system to keep your video and test score progress in sync between all 3 platforms.
- All-new iOS app available in the app store, called Sporty's Pilot Training
- New AppleTV app to watch video segments on the big screen at home
- Flight instructor tracking: invite your CFI to monitor your progress
- Review notes with each video allow you to quickly review segments with text and video
- Enhanced review quizzes allow you to jump to the section of the video for a thorough explanation
What's New in Version 1.9.1 - August 1, 2017
- the test prep feature in the course was updated to incorporate the new FAA Test Prep Figures Supplement, FAA-CT-8030-3F
- includes 250 new instrument test prep questions referencing the new high-resolution color figures and legends
What's New in Version 1.9 - October 13, 2016
- new feature: try out the written test prep component in the free version of the app - iOS 10 compatibility updates
What's New in Version 1.8 - June 15, 2016
- includes the new Airman Certification Standards (ACS) for the instrument rating, including the ability to review video segments directly from each task in the ACS
- added the latest FAA test questions to the written test prep component of the course
What's New in Version 1.7.6 - January 6, 2016
- Now includes iOS 9 Picture-in-Picture video playback, allowing you to continue to watch videos segments while interacting with other features in the app.
What's New in Version 1.7.3 - September 3, 2015
• Upgraded for compatibility with iOS 9
What's New in Version 1.7.2 - March 25, 2015
• We've enhanced the Knowledge Test Endorsement request feature -- you'll now receive your endorsement certificate immediately after completing the course.
• Includes the option to request FAA Wings credit immediately after course completion
What's New in Version 1.7 - September 26, 2014
• Upgraded for compatibility with iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 Plus
• Performance improvements and bug fixes
What's New in Version 1.6 - May 6, 2014
- New Achievements feature allows you to earn flight training achievements as you progress throughout the course. After completing video segments, test prep sessions, flight maneuvers and more, you'll be presented with the option to share these accomplishments with your flight instructor, family or friends with convenient Twitter, Facebook, mail and messaging options.
- New Progress section displays a snapshot of your video training progress and an overview of your test prep scores.
What's New in Version 1.5 - February 17, 2014
- Includes a new figure viewer display that allows you to view all FAA figures and legends when answering a question, not just the one required for the question you're currently viewing
- You'll now see the question text in the same window as the figure viewer to make it easier to answer questions requiring a figure
- Interface improvements for iOS 7
What's New in Version 1.4 - December 13, 2013
- Added review quizzes after the video segments containing FAA test question covering content from that segment
What's New in Version 1.3 - November 20, 2013
- New written test progress reports store a detailed history of all test prep sessions for later review
- Added ability to pause a written test prep session and resume it later
- Video training includes a resume feature, allowing you to watch part of a video segment and return later to resume viewing at the spot you left off
- Added all test prep figures to main menu, allowing review when outside of a session
- New iCloud features: all test prep progress reports and video progress is stored in iCloud and always kept in sync among all your devices
What's New in Version 1.0 - January 11, 2013
- Initial launch of Sporty's award-winning Instrument Rating Course in a new dedicated mobile app format for iPhone and iPad:
- Includes over 13 hours of high-quality streaming video and animations with training for all 3 tests required for the Instrument Rating--Written, Oral and Flight tests
- Offers the ability to save video segments for offline viewing when internet is not available
- Universal aviation app – purchase once and use it on all your devices
Accepted for FAA Wings Credit
Step by Step Embroidery Instructions
- Please specify embroidery option.
See all embroidery options
- Please specify silhouette or logo
See all silhouette options See all logo options
- Please specify one or two lines of custom embroidery (15 characters per line including spaces) (See examples below)
| CESSNA 182 |
| CHIEF PILOT|
| I'D RATHER |