Kneeboards have changed drastically over the last 30 years. Once used for charts and flight plan forms, kneeboards are now used to hold the most trusted navigational tool: an iPad, tablet, or phone. (A mere 15 years ago, Sporty’s best selling kneeboard still had a pencil sharpener on it!) While our chart-specific kneeboards are still available, most pilots have switched over to a kneeboard designed around holding an iPad or tablet.
Sporty’s Flight Gear iPad Bi-fold kneeboard has quickly become a favorite at Sporty’s flight school. The design incorporates two movable brackets that allow you to fit almost any iPad or tablet with almost any case. The vinyl-coated metal brackets are extra strong and are held in place by hook and loop fasteners. This allows them to expand and contract to work with different sizes and thicknesses of tablets. The brackets and mounting surface can be orientated for portrait or landscape viewing.
The back side of the mounting surface has an integrated kickstand. We’ve found that an iPad laying flat on your lap has a lot of glare coming in through the front windows. By using the kickstand and angling the tablet towards you, not only does it provide a better viewing angle, it also eliminates much of the glare. The kickstand is adjustable in height, and can be used in both portrait and landscape modes. Flip it down for takeoff and up for cruise.
The side flap of the kneeboard has two flat pockets for storing charging cables and screen cleaning cloths. These flat pockets are constructed with extra soft, velvet style material to accept Sporty’s Gear Mods. Gear Mods allow you to further customize your kneeboard with additional pockets and organizers. A zipper pocket is perfect for backup batteries or small Bluetooth GPS units. The zipper has a protective flap so you don’t have to worry about damaging your tablet screen when it is closed. The center of the kneeboard has two loops for holding a stylus, pen, or even a small flashlight. There is even a hole that allows you to fold the side flap underneath the board when not in use while still utilizing the elastic knee strap—a low profile option for tight cockpits.
Closing the kneeboard reveals a well designed front flap with an ID holder for a business card or photo ID. A flat pocket provides just enough space for a chart, checklist, or small notepad. The side of the kneeboard that sits on your leg features two extra-thick padded strips. This provides comfort and increased stability while the kneeboard is strapped to your leg.
- Two coated metal brackets firmly hold your iPad in place
- Removable board permits both vertical and horizontal mounting options
- Contoured back and elastic strap securely hold the kneeboard on your leg
- Large slash pocket on exterior holds charts or even a clipboard
- ID holder on outside identifies your kneeboard
- Two internal, low-profile side pockets--perfect for cords and screen cleaners
- Zippered pocket stores larger items (protective flap protects iPad screen from zipper)
- Side flap can be folded under for a smaller profile (strap pass-through slot built-in)
- Two elastic pen/stylus holders
- Accepts Gear Mods
Two sizes are available:
- Mini Bi-Fold Kneeboard fits iPad Minis 1-5 and some other 8” size tablets.
- The iPad Bi-Fold Kneeboard is designed to fit 9.7” to 11” iPads, but the movable brackets allow it to fit most other sizes too. Compatible with iPad 5-8, iPad Air 1-4, iPad Pro 11" (all generations).