Learn To Fly Course - Private Pilot Test Prep (Online, App and TV)
2021 Edition now available!
2021 Edition Now Available!
Ace your FAA written test, save money during flight training, and become a better pilot with Sporty’s 2021 Learn to Fly Course. Over 15 hours of HD video and animations explain everything you need to know to earn your Private Pilot certificate and feel confident in the left seat. Combine that with powerful test prep tools, a comprehensive document library, and convenient app options, and you have aviation’s most complete training course.
- New video segments. Sporty’s courses are famous for up-to-date HD video, and the 2021 edition adds plenty of new segments, including on using flight following with air traffic control, planning a cross-country flight with an iPad, and using ForeFlight’s Imagery tab.
- All-new online platform. Log into Sporty’s Pilot Training platform in your web browser and you’ll find an all-new look. The same great information is there, but it’s faster, easier to use, and completely mobile friendly.
- Test prep question search. Now you can build your own study session from any keyword you choose. Want to brush up on airspace? Just search for that phrase and start studying relevant questions.
- App dark mode. This changes the Pilot Training app layout to show light text on a dark background, which can reduce eye strain and extend battery life on your device.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator lessons. This detailed lesson guide is the bridge between Sporty’s course and the latest home flight simulator. Includes 14 suggested training flights, complete with objective, scenarios, and performance goals.
- Enhanced flashcard mode. Our new flashcard mode, for both written test and checkride prep, allows you to digitally flip the cards and see how well you’ve mastered important topics.
- ACS with embedded videos. The FAA’s Airman Certification Standards document is your guide to the checkride and only Sporty’s includes related video segments for each section—it’s the ultimate checkride preparation tool.
- Bring your own documents. Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course includes dozens of helpful FAA documents, but now you can upload your own files, whether it’s a scanned copy of your airplane’s manual or your flight school’s procedures.
- Video transcripts. Perfect for review sessions, or for students whose first language is not English, the course now includes complete transcripts for each video segment.
- Free lifetime updates mean you’ll always have access to the latest information and study tools. This includes all platforms, from your phone to your TV. There are no subscriptions and no upgrade fees
Dynamic in-flight video
Interactive Written Test Prep
10 reasons pilots prefer Sporty's courses:
1. Five formats, one price We know you’re busy, so our course is available almost anywhere. Use our online learning platform for complete access to videos and quizzes anywhere you have an internet connection. There’s no software to install – just log in and start learning. Or use our dedicated mobile apps for iPad, iPhone, Android, Apple TV, and Roku, which allow you to download videos for offline viewing. Progress automatically syncs between all formats so you can start a study session on your phone and finish on your laptop without missing a beat.
2. Get your written test endorsement When you complete the course, we’ll give you the flight instructor endorsement to take the written test—instantly! You can take this endorsement to the FAA testing center, and log it in your ForeFlight logbook. It's complete preparation for the FAA Knowledge Test.
3. Pass all your tests—guaranteed! Our course is so complete we guarantee you’ll pass all three tests: the written, oral and flight. Our video segments make complicated subjects like aerodynamics and weather easy to understand, so you’ll impress the examiner. Plus, our Airman Certification Standards Study Guide cross-references every required task to the videos, making it easy to review for the checkride.
4. Dynamic in-flight video Sporty’s courses are famous for their HD video and 3D animations. Not a boring ground school, we put you in the cockpit for a real world look at what flying is all about. You’ll see the flight maneuvers from the left seat, and you’ll hear actual communications with air traffic control. Plus, each video segment includes helpful review notes for efficient studying, and many also have review quizzes to reinforce key concepts.
5. 32 fully-narrated HD maneuvers In addition to the comprehensive video segments, Sporty’s Learn to Fly course also includes a detailed maneuvers guide. All 32 maneuvers you might be tested on are included, with a 3D animation of the maneuver, narrated procedures, common errors, and completion standards. It’s a great way to review for the checkride.
6. Powerful test prep tools You’ll ace the written test with our interactive tools. Create customized study sessions from our proprietary database of over 1,000 FAA test questions and see the right and wrong answers, plus plain English explanations written by our team of CFIs. Detailed analytics show you which areas need the most help, and allow you to study only the questions you’ve missed. Then, take a practice test that simulates the real knowledge exam you'll have to pass.
7. Flight Instructor tracking We make it easy for your instructor to follow your progress through the course, so you always stay in sync with your in-person lessons. Invite a CFI to see your practice test scores and review your video progress.
8. Ask a CFI If you're stumped by a difficult subject, talk to the experienced flight instructors at Sporty's. We have a team of over 25 CFIs on staff at our flight school, training students every day just like you, so they can offer quick, helpful answers. Just click the Ask a CFI button to send a message.
9. Complete training syllabus Research shows that pilots learn better when they use a high quality syllabus. We include a complete Training Course Outline as part of our course – the same one we use in our flight school. It includes detailed outlines for both ground and flight lessons. Think of it as a bridge between your at-home study and flight training.
10. Free lifetime updates When you buy a Sporty's course, you're gaining access to a training platform that's always up to date and always improving. We are continually adding new video segments to reflect new regulations and technology. We also refresh our FAA test question database regularly, so you don't study outdated topics. There's no additional fee or subscription to receive these updates - just log in and learn!
More powerful features:
- Covers Private, Recreational, and Sport Pilot - train for one or all three certificates with one course.
- Review notes and quick quizzes after most videos help you review your progress.
- Download videos for offline viewing in the app or stream them with an internet connection.
- Closed captioned videos help students whose first language is not English.
- Automatic progress sync between all formats
- Connect to your ForeFlight logbook to log your written test endorsement.
- Smart study sessions help you drill on your weakest subjects.
- Redbird GIFT integration: use Sporty's course with Redbird simulators.
- Unlimited practice tests and study sessions
- Earn FAA WINGS credit and save on your insurance
- Air Facts segments go beyond the textbook to make you a proficient pilot.
- Automatic updates mean you learn the latest information.
Learn from the Best:
Rob is aviation's best-known airshow announcer, a 5-time Emmy award winner, and host of Sporty’s flight training courses. With his trademark style, he offers dozens of video tips for enhancing your airmanship, from steep turns to crosswind landings.
Scott is a highly-respected meteorologist with years of forecasting and broadcast experience. He earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Meteorology from Penn State with an emphasis in forecasting and communications, and is also a Certified Broadcast Meteorologist.
Bret has been writing and presenting about aviation since 2010. In addition to being an ATP and CFI, he is a columnist for Flying magazine and the Editor of iPad Pilot News.
Eric is a true aviation educator. As an ATP, Master Flight Instructor, and president of one of the country’s busiest flight schools, he offers a practical perspective on flight training and improving your flying skills.
- Volume 1 - Your First Few Hours
- Volume 2 - Practicing Landings
- Volume 3 - Your First Solo
- Volume 4 - Recreational and Sport
- Volume 5 - Your Dual Cross Countries
- Volume 6 - Your Solo Cross Countries
- Volume 7 - Private Pilot Test
Already own the Course? Sign in here
Course Update History:
What's New in Version 7.0 - October 26, 2020
-Updated to the new Sporty's 2021 Learn to Fly Course
-New video segments: Sporty’s courses are famous for up-to-date HD video, and the 2021 edition adds plenty of new segments, including on using flight following with air traffic control, planning a cross-country flight with an iPad, and using ForeFlight’s Imagery tab.
-All-new online platform: Log into Sporty’s Pilot Training platform in your web browser and you’ll find an all-new look. The same great information is there, but it’s faster, easier to use, and completely mobile friendly.
-Test prep question search: Now you can build your own study session from any keyword you choose. Want to brush up on airspace? Just search for that phrase and start studying relevant questions.
-Microsoft Flight Simulator lessons: This detailed lesson guide is the bridge between Sporty’s course and the latest home flight simulator. Includes 14 suggested training flights, complete with objective, scenarios, and performance goals.
-Enhanced flashcard mode: Our new flashcard mode, for both written test and checkride prep, allows you to digitally flip the cards and see how well you’ve mastered important topics.
-ACS with embedded videos: The FAA’s Airman Certification Standards document is your guide to the checkride and only Sporty’s includes related video segments for each section—it’s the ultimate checkride preparation tool.
-Bring your own documents: Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course includes dozens of helpful FAA documents, but now you can upload your own files, whether it’s a scanned copy of your airplane’s manual or your flight school’s procedures.
-Video transcripts: Perfect for review sessions, or for students whose first language is not English, the course now includes complete transcripts for each video segment.
What's New in Version 6.1 - April 1, 2020
- Includes a new segment in Chapter 6 on flying High Performance and Complex airplanes.
- Added a Pre-Solo test to use your with your instructor in preparation for your first solo flight in an airplane.
What's New in Version 6.0 - October 21, 2019
-Updated to the new Sporty's 2020 Learn to Fly Course
-Adds ten new video segments covering the following topics
-Communications at towered and non-towered airports
-Advanced landing techniques, including how to handle crosswinds, no-flap landings and recovering from faulty landings
-How glass-cockpit systems work and how to fly with digital flight instruments
-Techniques for using the iPad during flight training
-How to use the Graphical Forecast for Aviation (GFA) weather resource
-New segment on flying high-performance and complex airplanes
New Test Prep Tools - Sporty’s Pilot Training app, available for iOS and Android and included with your purchase, adds a number of powerful test prep tools. The app tracks your progress in multiple subject areas, so you can focus on your weakest topics for maximum efficiency. Once you’ve studied each area, create a study session based on all marked questions or all missed questions. You can also create a smart study session, where the app learns from your progress and creates customized quizzes to drill on topics that need improvement.
Test Prep Syncing - All online and app platforms include a new syncing engine that allows you to resume and review all test prep sessions on any of your devices, regardless of where the session was started.
Checkride Prep - interactive Checkride Prep Flashcards are an easy way to test your knowledge of key subjects, ensuring you’ll be ready to talk about regulations, airspace, and systems. Next, a complete practical test checklist explains everything you need for the big day, from certificates to logbook entries. Finally, a special video segment shows you what to expect on the checkride, with tips from an active pilot examiner.
New Smart TV Apps - New for 2020, full Chromecast integration and an all-new RokuTV channel (in addition to our existing Apple TV app) mean you can watch Sporty’s videos almost anywhere.
FAA Handbooks - Adds access to over 25 popular FAA resources. From the Airplane Flying Handbook to important Advisory Circulars, it’s all here - over $300 in books for free. In the Pilot Training app, you can view full resolution color PDFs and use powerful document tools like bookmarks and search to organize your studying.
This is a free update for all existing users, and new customers will get lifetime updates after purchase.
June 7, 2019
The Learn to Fly Course in the mobile Pilot Training app for iOS and Android now includes all the FAA Handbooks for convenient studying. These are viewable in a new powerful document reader in both app platforms, that allows for easier reading, searching and bookmarking when viewing each document.
What's New in Version 5.4 - February 15, 2019
Five new video segments added covering pilot communication procedures at non-towered airports, Class B, Class C, Class D airspace and airports, and en route communications with ATC.
What's New in Version 5.3 - January 31, 2019
New Sporty's Roku Pilot Training Channel allows you to access the Learn to Fly Course on the popular Roku smartTV platform. Also adds Chromecast support for the Android version of the Pilot Training app.
What's New in Version 5.2 - December 23, 2018
The iPhone and iPad apps were updated with an improved Test Prep interface. The new design includes colorblind accessibility enhancements and provides a better experience when studying for FAA tests on the iPhone's smaller screen.
What's New in Version 5.1 - December 7, 2018
The Android app now includes complete FAA test prep features, allowing you to study test prep questions, answers and detailed explanations for the Private, Sport and Recreational Pilot tests. The app also now allows you to take simulated practice tests and earn your knowledge test endorsement based on your Android test results.