Includes course access for yourself with your Sporty's account immediately after checkout.
We'll ship you or the recipient of your choice an online activation code for this course. This physical gift packet includes one activation code and directions on redeeming the course.
We can email the recipient of your choice instant online access to the course. This is the easiest way to send someone else the course as a gift.
Instrument Rating Course - FAA Test Prep (Online, App and TV)
Ace your FAA written test, save money during flight lessons, and become a better IFR pilot with Sporty’s complete Instrument Rating Course.
Complete Video Training and FAA Test Prep!
Ace your FAA written test, save money during flight lessons, and become a better IFR pilot with Sporty’s complete Instrument Rating Course. PowerStudy test prep tools offer unlimited FAA practice tests and personalized study sessions, and we guarantee you’ll pass your FAA test. Plus, over 10 hours of HD video lessons ensure you go beyond memorization and truly understand important aviation topics. Best of all, Sporty’s course works on all your devices, from phone to tablet to laptop, with automatic progress sync and free lifetime updates.
PowerStudy test prep
Sporty’s Instrument Rating Course has all the tools you need to prepare for the FAA Knowledge Test (sometimes called the written test). Here’s how to earn your endorsement and ace the test in less time.
Sporty’s PowerStudy test prep features work on all your devices with automatic progress sync. Take unlimited study sessions on your laptop, iPhone, iPad, and Android—you can study anywhere, anytime.
What users say...
Over 10 hours of HD video
We focus on instrument flying the way it’s really done, based on over 60 years of flight instructing. You’ll see RNAV approaches from the left seat, experience dynamic weather conditions, and hear authentic communications with air traffic control. Each video segment combines unique camera angles and 3D animations to simplify complicated topics. Like all Sporty’s courses, you can watch on all your devices, including smart TVs like Apple TV, Roku, and Android TV. There’s even the option to listen to audio segments, either on your phone or in your car with Apple CarPlay.
Detailed maneuvers guide
In addition to the comprehensive video segments, Sporty’s Instrument Rating Course also includes a detailed maneuvers guide. All 27 maneuvers you might be tested on, from holding patterns to unusual attitudes, are included. Each one features a 3D animation, narrated procedures, common errors, and completion standards. It’s the perfect way to review for the checkride.
Extensive FAA library
Your course includes access to 25 popular resources, from the Instrument Flying Handbook to the Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement—over $300 in books for free. Sporty’s Pilot Training app includes powerful PDF tools like bookmarks and annotations, so you can organize your studying. You can even upload your own documents, so all your reference materials are in one place.
Learn from the Best:
Rob is aviation's best-known airshow announcer, a 5-time Emmy award winner, and host of Sporty’s flight training courses. With his trademark style, he offers dozens of video tips for enhancing your airmanship, from steep turns to crosswind landings.
Scott is a highly-respected meteorologist with years of forecasting and broadcast experience. He earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Meteorology from Penn State with an emphasis in forecasting and communications, and is also a Certified Broadcast Meteorologist.
Bret has been writing and presenting about aviation since 2010. In addition to being an ATP and CFI, he is a columnist for Flying magazine and the Editor of iPad Pilot News.
Eric is a true aviation educator. As an ATP, Master Flight Instructor, and president of one of the country’s busiest flight schools, he offers a practical perspective on flight training and improving your flying skills.
- Volume 1 - Instrument Flying Fundamentals
- Volume 2 - Air Traffic Control & IFR
- Volume 3 - Instrument Approaches
- Volume 4 - En Route IFR
- Volume 5 - Weather for IFR
- Volume 6 - Advanced IFR
- Volume 7 - FARs and Your Instrument Test
Already own the Course? Sign in here
Course Update History:
What's New in Version 5.0 - November 6, 2020
- Updated to the new Sporty's 2021 Instrument Rating Course
- New video segments: Sporty’s courses are famous for up-to-date HD video, and the 2021 edition adds plenty of new segments, including IFR cross-country planning, advanced airplane systems and avionics operation and tips for flying instrument approaches.
- All-new online platform: Log into Sporty’s Pilot Training platform in your web browser and you’ll find an all-new look. The same great information is there, but it’s faster, easier to use, and completely mobile friendly.
- Test prep question search: Now you can build your own study session from any keyword you choose. Want to brush up on airspace? Just search for that phrase and start studying relevant questions.
- Enhanced flashcard mode: Our new flashcard mode, for both written test and checkride prep, allows you to digitally flip the cards and see how well you’ve mastered important topics.
- ACS with embedded videos: The FAA’s Airman Certification Standards document is your guide to the checkride and only Sporty’s includes related video segments for each section—it’s the ultimate checkride preparation tool.
- Bring your own documents: Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course includes dozens of helpful FAA documents, but now you can upload your own files, whether it’s a scanned copy of your airplane’s manual or your flight school’s procedures.
- Video transcripts: Perfect for review sessions, or for students whose first language is not English, the course now includes complete transcripts for each video segment.
- New AppleTV app: the included app for your TV makes instrument rating prep at home even more convenient.
What's New in Version 4.1 - May 1, 2020
New video segments added covering the following topics:
- Checking Weather for an IFR flight
- Developing your own self-weather briefing
- Building margins
- IFR flight planning tips
- Approach lighting systems
- Planning for an instrument approach
- Designing approaches
- Alternate airport selection
- Principles of engine turbochargers
- Engine instrumentation
- Oxygen use
What's New in Version 4.0 - October 1, 2019
Upgraded to the 2020 Instrument Rating Course
- Expanded video segments cover important topics like ILS approaches, holding patterns, in-flight weather resources, flying with electronic flight bags, and more
- New Test Prep Tools – smart study, incorrect question review, marked question review
- Chromecast and RokuTV channel
- FAA Document Library
- Video Review notes
What's New in Version 3.5 - June 7, 2019
The Instrument Rating Course in the mobile Pilot Training app for iOS and Android now includes all the FAA Handbooks for convenient studying. These are viewable in a new powerful document reader in both app platforms, that allows for easier reading, searching and bookmarking when viewing each document.
What's New in Version 3.4 - May 15, 2019
New HD video segments added on flying instrument approaches, including approach chart analysis, flying an ILS (localizer and glideslope), ATC vectors, VOR approaches, procedure turns and holding patterns.
What's New in Version 3.3 - January 31, 2019
New Sporty's Roku Pilot Training Channel allows you to access the Instrument Rating Course on the popular Roku smartTV platform. Also adds Chromecast support for the Android version of the Pilot Training app.
What's New in Version 3.2 - December 23, 2018
The iPhone and iPad apps were updated with an improved Test Prep interface. The new design includes colorblind accessibility enhancements and provides a better experience when studying for FAA tests on the iPhone's smaller screen.
What's New in Version 3.1 - December 7, 2018
The Android app now includes complete FAA test prep features, allowing you to study test prep questions, answers and detailed explanations for the Instrument Rating test. The app also now allows you to take simulated practice tests and earn your knowledge test endorsement based on your Android test results.
What's New in Version 3.0 - October 24, 2018
Updated to the new Sporty's 2019 Instrument Rating Course
Online Course Features
- Video Search: quickly find a specific video segment based on a keyword search
- All new FAA Test Prep: a new faster test prep module features 3 new study modes, Smart Study, Marked Question Study and Incorrectly Answered Questions study
- Test Prep Analytics: see detailed reports on past performance in each category of question
- Test Prep Answer References: each question includes a link to view the specific FAA reference book or resource from which the question is based.
- CFI Progress Sharing: this feature was enhanced to allow you to share the specific video segments you've completed, and how you answered each question on practice tests
- FAA Handbooks: quick access to all the FAA handbooks and reference guides
NEW Android App
- view all the video segments on an Android phone or tablet
- study test prep questions in Learning and Test Modes
- progress automatically syncs with the online course and iOS app
- automatically included with the 2019 Instrument Rating Course
- Video Search: quickly find a specific video segment based on a keyword search
- Test Prep Answer References: each question includes a link to view the specific FAA reference book or resource from which the question is based