10 reasons pilots prefer Sporty's courses:
1. Five formats, one price
We know you’re busy, so our course is available almost anywhere. Use our online learning platform for complete access to videos and quizzes anywhere you have an internet connection. There’s no software to install – just log in and start learning. Or use our dedicated mobile apps for iPad, iPhone, Android, Apple TV, and Roku, which allow you to download videos for offline viewing. Progress automatically syncs between all formats so you can start a study session on your phone and finish on your laptop without missing a beat.
2. Get your written test endorsement
When you complete the course, we’ll give you the flight instructor endorsement to take the written test—instantly! You can take this endorsement to the FAA testing center, and log it in your ForeFlight logbook. It's complete preparation for the FAA Knowledge Test.
3. Pass all your tests—guaranteed!
Our course is so complete we guarantee you’ll pass all three tests: the written, oral and flight. Our video segments make complicated subjects like aerodynamics and weather easy to understand, so you’ll impress the examiner. Plus, our Airman Certification Standards Study Guide cross-references every required task to the videos, making it easy to review for the checkride.
4. Dynamic in-flight video
Sporty’s courses are famous for their HD video and 3D animations. Not a boring ground school, we put you in the cockpit for a real world look at what flying is all about. You’ll see low instrument approaches from the left seat, and you’ll hear real world communications with air traffic control. Plus, each video segment includes helpful review notes for efficient studying, and many also have review quizzes to reinforce key concepts.
5. 27 fully-narrated HD maneuvers
In addition to the comprehensive video segments, Sporty’s Instrument Rating course also includes a detailed maneuvers guide. All 27 maneuvers you might be tested on are included, with a 3D animation of the maneuver, narrated procedures, common errors, and completion standards. It’s a great way to review for the checkride.
6. Powerful test prep tools
You’ll ace the written test with our interactive tools. Create customized study sessions from the actual FAA test questions and see the right and wrong answers, plus plain English explanations written by our team of CFIs. Detailed analytics show you which areas need the most help, and allow you to study only the questions you’ve missed. Then, take a practice test that simulates the real knowledge exam you'll have to pass.
7. Flight instructor tracking
We make it easy for your instructor to follow your progress through the course, so you always stay in sync with your in-person lessons. Invite a CFI to see your practice test scores and review your video progress.
8. Ask a CFI
If you're stumped by a difficult subject, talk to the experienced flight instructors at Sporty's. We have a team of over 25 CFIs on staff at our flight school, training students every day just like you, so they can offer quick, helpful answers. Just click the Ask a CFI button to send a message.
9. Complete training syllabus and ACS
Research shows that pilots learn better when they use a high quality syllabus. We include a complete Training Course Outline as part of our course – the same one we use in our flight school. It includes detailed outlines for both ground and flight lessons. Think of it as a bridge between your at-home study and flight training. Our course also includes the full text of the FAA’s Airman Certification Standards (ACS) - your guide to the checkride - and cross-references each task to the video segments.
10. Free lifetime updates
When you buy a Sporty's course, you're gaining access to a a training platform that's always up to date and always improving. We are continually adding new video segments to reflect new regulations and technology. We also refresh our FAA test question database regularly, so you don't study outdated topics. There's no additional fee or subscription to receive these updates - just log in and learn!
More powerful features:
- Download videos for offline viewing in the app or stream them with an internet connection.
- Automatic progress sync between all formats.
- Air Facts segments go beyond the textbook to make you a proficient pilot.
- Review notes and quick quizzes after most videos help you review your progress.
- Subtitled videos help students whose first language is not English.
- Connect to your ForeFlight logbook to log your written test endorsement.
- Earn FAA WINGS credit and save on your insurance.
- Automatic updates mean you learn the latest information.
ATTENTION FLIGHT SCHOOLS
Want to use Sporty's courses in your flight school? We can help! Sign up to be a Sporty's Dealer and enjoy attractive wholesale pricing on many Sporty's training products. Our courses are used in dozens of flight schools every day, from small Part 61 schools to large Part 141-approved schools, and can improve both customer satisfaction and completion rates. Contact Mark Wiesenhahn with questions.
SPORTY'S PILOT TRAINING+
Want unlimited access to Sporty's courses plus free shipping and flight training scholarships? Join Sporty's Pilot Training+, an all-in-one membership program that includes access to our Learn to Fly Course, plus much more. Plans start at just $49/month. Click here for details
AVAILABLE ON ALL YOUR DEVICES, TRY FOR FREE:
Online Course using a web browser – Login here
iPhone/iPad in Sporty's Pilot Training app – Apple App Store
AppleTV app – 4th Generation AppleTV or newer
Android in Sporty's Pilot Training app – Google Play Store
RokuTV App – search for the Sporty's Pilot Training Channel on your Roku device
The instrument training experts
At Sporty’s, we pioneered weekend instrument ground schools over 50 years ago, traveling the country to teach pilots the keys to IFR flying in just 3 days. Today, we operate an active flight school at our home airport (I69) with over 100 flight students. This everyday practical experience with instrument students makes us uniquely qualified to offer the most complete, up-to-date training courses available. When you learn with Sporty’s, you’re learning from the best.
Train at Sporty's Academy
Ready to put that instrument knowledge to work? You can earn your instrument rating at the home of Sporty’s Pilot Shop in Cincinnati, Ohio. Train with the same instructional staff that brings you Sporty’s Complete Instrument Rating Course on DVD or online. Based at Clermont County Airport (I69), Sporty’s Flight Training Center offers accelerated instrument training in an impeccable fleet of well-equipped aircraft. SportysAcademy.com or email Fly@SportysAcademy.com
What you'll learn
Volume 1 - Instrument Flying Fundamentals
- The IFR Flight to Midway
- Getting Started in Your Instrument Training
- The Instrument Scan, Primary & Supporting Instruments
- Straight & Level, Climbs & Descents
- Closer Look: Flight Simulators
- Flying in Turbulence
- Air Facts—Staying Cool Under Fire
- Turns and Steep Turns
- Closer Look: Electronic Flight Bags
- Vacuum & Pressure Systems
- Partial Panel
- Air Facts—Glass Cockpit Flying
Volume 2 - Air Traffic Control & IFR
- Separation & Other Standards
- The Basic Structure
- Air Facts—Talking To Controllers
- IFR En Route
- Departing the Terminal Area
- IFR Arrivals
- Closer Look—Air Traffic Control Technology
- IFR Communications
- Air Facts—Radio Pro
- Learning The System
- Air Facts—Flight Plans, Fact & Fiction
- The Pilot’s Role In The System
- Closer Look—ADS-B Transponders
- Global Positioning System (GPS)
Volume 3 - Instrument Approaches
- The Goal
- Approach Chart Details
- Flying The Localizer
- Flying The Glide Slope
- Air Facts—The Simple Facts
- Unusual Approaches
- Air Facts—Vectors
- Flying VOR Approaches
- Closer Look—Procedure Turns
- Circling Approaches
- Visual Descent Points And DME
- GPS Approaches
- Air Facts–GPS Approach Tips
Volume 4 - En Route IFR
- Flight Planning & Chart Reading
- Closer Look—FAA vs. Jeppesen
- Checking Weather
- Air Facts: Developing Your Self-Weather Briefing
- Building Margins
- Air Facts—Conquering Cockpit Clutter
- IFR Planning Tips
- Closer Look—Approach Lighting Systems
- Planning For The Approach
- Air Facts—Check It Out
- Closer Look—Designing Approaches
- Going To An Alternate
- Air Facts—What Is The Alternative?
Volume 5 - Weather For IFR
- Getting Weather Oriented
- Air Facts—Ice as a Practical Matter
- Closer Look—Ice Protection Systems
- Closer Look—Thunderstorm Research
- Flying with Datalink Weather
- Air Facts–ATC Radar for Weather Avoidance
- Below Minimum Weather
- Air Facts—Reading The Weather Signs
- Middle Altitude Weather
- Air Facts—Nighttime Weather
Volume 6 - Advanced IFR
- Trainer To High Performance
- Flight Director And HSI
- Closer Look—IFR Resources
- IFR Use Of The Autopilot
- Air Facts—Night IFR
- Engine Instrumentation
- Air Facts—Keeping It Running
- Principles Of Turbocharging
- Oxygen Use
- Closer Look—Flight Level Rules & Regulations
- Air Facts—Is There An All-Weather Airplane?
Volume 7 - FARs and Your Instrument Test
- IFR Weather
- Closer Look—Computer Testing
- IFR Weather Data
- Practical & Oral Test
- Closer Look—Test Taking Tips
- Federal Aviation Regulations
- Communications Loss Procedures
- Air Facts—Communications Loss
- Aircraft Instruments
- Closer Look—Instrument Failure
- Clearances And Flight Plans
- Air Facts—Glass Checkride
- ATC Expectations
Course Update History
What's New in Version 4.1 - May 1, 2020
New video segments added covering the following topics:
• Checking Weather for an IFR flight
• Developing your own self-weather briefing
• Building margins
• IFR flight planning tips
• Approach lighting systems
• Planning for an instrument approach
• Designing approaches
• Alternate airport selection
• Principles of engine turbochargers
• Engine instrumentation
• Oxygen use
What's New in Version 4.0 - October 1, 2019
Upgraded to the 2020 Instrument Rating Course
• Expanded video segments cover important topics like ILS approaches, holding patterns, in-flight weather resources, flying with electronic flight bags, and more
• New Test Prep Tools – smart study, incorrect question review, marked question review
• Chromecast and RokuTV channel
• FAA Document Library
• Video Review notes
What's New in Version 3.5 - June 7, 2019
The Instrument Rating Course in the mobile Pilot Training app for iOS and Android now includes all the FAA Handbooks for convenient studying. These are viewable in a new powerful document reader in both app platforms, that allows for easier reading, searching and bookmarking when viewing each document.
What's New in Version 3.4 - May 15, 2019
New HD video segments added on flying instrument approaches, including approach chart analysis, flying an ILS (localizer and glideslope), ATC vectors, VOR approaches, procedure turns and holding patterns.
What's New in Version 3.3 - January 31, 2019
New Sporty's Roku Pilot Training Channel allows you to access the Instrument Rating Course on the popular Roku smartTV platform. Also adds Chromecast support for the Android version of the Pilot Training app.
What's New in Version 3.2 - December 23, 2018
The iPhone and iPad apps were updated with an improved Test Prep interface. The new design includes colorblind accessibility enhancements and provides a better experience when studying for FAA tests on the iPhone's smaller screen.
What's New in Version 3.1 - December 7, 2018
The Android app now includes complete FAA test prep features, allowing you to study test prep questions, answers and detailed explanations for the Instrument Rating test. The app also now allows you to take simulated practice tests and earn your knowledge test endorsement based on your Android test results.
What's New in Version 3.0 - October 24, 2018
Updated to the new Sporty's 2019 Instrument Rating Course
Online Course Features
- Video Search: quickly find a specific video segment based on a keyword search
- All new FAA Test Prep: a new faster test prep module features 3 new study modes, Smart Study, Marked Question Study and Incorrectly Answered Questions study
- Test Prep Analytics: see detailed reports on past performance in each category of question
- Test Prep Answer References: each question includes a link to view the specific FAA reference book or resource from which the question is based.
- CFI Progress Sharing: this feature was enhanced to allow you to share the specific video segments you've completed, and how you answered each question on practice tests
- FAA Handbooks: quick access to all the FAA handbooks and reference guides
NEW Android App
- view all the video segments on an Android phone or tablet
- study test prep questions in Learning and Test Modes
- progress automatically syncs with the online course and iOS app
- automatically included with the 2019 Instrument Rating Course
- Video Search: quickly find a specific video segment based on a keyword search
- Test Prep Answer References: each question includes a link to view the specific FAA reference book or resource from which the question is based
Accepted for FAA Wings Credit
- Online version requires Chrome, Safari 5+, Firefox 9+, Internet Explorer 10, or iPad browser.
- iOS app requires version 10.0 or higher
- AppleTV app requires 4th generation AppleTV or newer
Step by Step Embroidery Instructions
- Please specify embroidery option.
See all embroidery options
- Please specify silhouette or logo
See all silhouette options
See all logo options
- Please specify one or two lines of custom embroidery (15 characters per line including spaces). (see examples below)
| CESSNA 182|
| CHIEF PILOT |