Throughout the month of February 2023, Sporty’s celebrated IFR Month, a four-week focus on the challenges and rewards of instrument flying. We introduced a new YouTube video series, held interactive webinars, and published numerous IFR articles. The goal is to encourage pilots to earn their instrument rating, get current, enjoy more utility from their pilot certificate—and have fun #cloudsurfing.
IFR Insights, with Spencer Suderman
Sporty’s has partnered with record-setting airshow pilot and instrument flight instructor Spencer Suderman for a new video series, called “IFR Insights,” available free on YouTube. In each episode, Suderman shows how to use modern tools like iPad apps and datalink weather to make IFR flying safer and easier. Multiple camera angles and real world ATC audio allow viewers to ride along and see why “flying IFR” doesn’t have to mean shooting approaches to 200 feet.
Episode 1: Flying an RNAV approach in IMC
Episode 2: Circle to land approach
Episode 3: IFR cross-country flight
How to pass the FAA instrument written test
With Bret Koebbe, Sporty's Senior Flight Instructor
Tuesday, February 7 at 3pm eastern
Using a home simulator for IFR proficiency
With Chris McGonegle, Sporty's flight simulator expert
Wednesday, February 15 at 3pm eastern
Sporty's has been training instrument pilots for over 60 years. Here's the latest version of our award-winning courses.
Sporty's Instrument Rating Course
Ace your FAA written test, save money during flight training, and become a better pilot with Sporty’s Instrument Rating Course. Over 12 hours of HD video and animations explain everything you need to know to earn your Instrument Rating and feel confident in the clouds. Works on all your devices, from iPhone to laptop to smart TV, and includes free lifetime updates!
Sporty's Instrument Proficiency Check
Whether you haven't flown an instrument approach in years or you fly IFR on every flight, this comprehensive course will make you a safer, smoother pilot in the clouds. Packed with over three hours of HD video, Instrument Proficiency Check covers everything you need to know in order to get current, stay sharp, and impress your instructor. It's broken down into 38 brief segments for easy studying, and works on all your devices (iOS, Android, online, Apple TV, and Roku).
Articles, Quizzes, and Videos
IFR Month will also be celebrated across Sporty’s Media Network, including the popular Flight Training Central, Air Facts, iPad Pilot News, and Flight Sim Update websites. Each will include articles, videos, and quizzes on instrument flying topics. Sporty’s Pilot’s Discretion podcast will feature two IFR-centric episodes in February. We'll be adding new content every day, so check back often. Here's a preview:
- The joy of IFR - John Zimmerman, Air Facts
- Adding an instrument rating provides safety and value - Brady Kannady, Flight Training Central
- Five essential products for IFR flying - Doug Ranly, Sporty's Product PIREPS blog
- Getting started with IFR training - Eric Radtke, Flight Training Central
- IFR flight plans: what really matters to ATC (video tip)
- Quiz: Regulations for Instrument Flight Rules - Chris Clarke, Flight Training Central
- Guide to filing an IFR flight plan in ForeFlight - Bret Koebbe, iPad Pilot News
- Keeping one step ahead of ATC when flying IFR - Bret Koebbe, Flight Training Central
- Airplane attitude instrument flying is the foundation - Eric Radtke, Flight Training Central
- Strategies for maintaining instrument proficiency - Eric Radtke, Flight Training Central
- Quiz: flying IFR with ForeFlight - Bret Koebbe, iPad Pilot News
- Using flight simulators for IFR training (part 1) - Chris McGonegle, Flight Sim Update
- Using flight simulators for IFR training (part 2) - Chris McGonegle, Flight Sim Update
- Using flight simulators for IFR training (part 3) - Chris McGonegle, Flight Sim Update
- Quiz: IFR approach chart symbols - Flight Training Central
- RNAV/GPS instrument approach tips - LPV, LNAV+V and more (video tip) - Flight Training Central
- How to choose an alternate airport when planning an IFR flight - Bret Koebbe, Flight Training Central
- An actual instrument approach to minimums - Eric Radtke, Flight Training Central
- Instrument flying and navigation tips from an air traffic controller (video tip)
- Quiz: preflight planning an IFR flight - Flight Training Central
- Round out your pilot skills with an instrument rating - Jason Blair, Flight Training Central
Join our team of pilots live from Sporty's store and flight school for a hands-on look at popular gear for instrument flying.
Top 5 products for IFR Flying
Thursday, February 2 at noon eastern
Watch the recording on Sporty's YouTube channel
Flight sims and IFR flying
Wednesday, February 15 at noon eastern
Watch the recording on Sporty's Instagram page
Learn from two of the best instrument instructors in the world in these in-depth episodes of Pilot's Discretion, Sporty's popular podcast.
The hall of fame instructor talks about IFR flying tips and gear-up landing stats in this wide-ranging discussion. Listen here
The IFR Magazine writer shares her tips for safer instrument flying and explains the challenge of taildraggers. Listen here