10 reasons pilots prefer Sporty's courses:
1. Five formats, one price
We know you’re busy, so our course is available almost anywhere. Use our online learning platform for complete access to videos and quizzes anywhere you have an internet connection. There’s no software to install – just log in and start learning. Or use our dedicated mobile apps for iPad, iPhone, Android, Apple TV, and Roku, which allow you to download videos for offline viewing. Progress automatically syncs between all formats so you can start a study session on your phone and finish on your laptop without missing a beat.
2. Get your written test endorsement
When you complete the course, we’ll give you the flight instructor endorsement to take the written test—instantly! You can take this endorsement to the FAA testing center, and log it in your ForeFlight logbook. It's complete preparation for the FAA Knowledge Test.
3. Pass all your tests—guaranteed!
Our course is so complete we guarantee you’ll pass all three tests: the written, oral and flight. Our video segments make complicated subjects like aerodynamics and weather easy to understand, so you’ll impress the examiner. Plus, our Airman Certification Standards Study Guide cross-references every required task to the videos, making it easy to review for the checkride.
4. Dynamic in-flight video
Sporty’s courses are famous for their HD video and 3D animations. Not a boring ground school, we put you in the cockpit for a real world look at what flying is all about. You’ll see the flight maneuvers from the left seat, and you’ll hear actual communications with air traffic control. Plus, each video segment includes helpful review notes for efficient studying, and many also have review quizzes to reinforce key concepts.
5. 32 fully-narrated HD maneuvers
In addition to the comprehensive video segments, Sporty’s Learn to Fly course also includes a detailed maneuvers guide. All 32 maneuvers you might be tested on are included, with a 3D animation of the maneuver, narrated procedures, common errors, and completion standards. It’s a great way to review for the checkride.
6. Powerful test prep tools
You’ll ace the written test with our interactive tools. Create customized study sessions from our proprietary database of over 1,000 FAA test questions and see the right and wrong answers, plus plain English explanations written by our team of CFIs. Detailed analytics show you which areas need the most help, and allow you to study only the questions you’ve missed. Then, take a practice test that simulates the real knowledge exam you'll have to pass.
7. Flight instructor tracking
We make it easy for your instructor to follow your progress through the course, so you always stay in sync with your in-person lessons. Invite a CFI to see your practice test scores and review your video progress.
8. Ask a CFI
If you're stumped by a difficult subject, talk to the experienced flight instructors at Sporty's. We have a team of over 25 CFIs on staff at our flight school, training students every day just like you, so they can offer quick, helpful answers. Just click the Ask a CFI button to send a message.
9. Complete training syllabus and ACS
Research shows that pilots learn better when they use a high quality syllabus. We include a complete Training Course Outline as part of our course – the same one we use in our flight school. It includes detailed outlines for both ground and flight lessons. Think of it as a bridge between your at-home study and flight training. Our course also includes the full text of the FAA’s Airman Certification Standards (ACS) - your guide to the checkride - and cross-references each task to the video segments.
10. Free lifetime updates
When you buy a Sporty's course, you're gaining access to a training platform that's always up to date and always improving. We are continually adding new video segments to reflect new regulations and technology. We also refresh our FAA test question database regularly, so you don't study outdated topics. There's no additional fee or subscription to receive these updates - just log in and learn!
More powerful features:
- Covers Private, Recreational, and Sport Pilot - train for one or all three certificates with one course.
- Download videos for offline viewing in the app or stream them with an internet connection.
- Automatic progress sync between all formats.
- Smart study sessions help you drill on your weakest subjects.
- Unlimited practice tests and study sessions.
- Air Facts segments go beyond the textbook to make you a proficient pilot.
- Review notes and quick quizzes after most videos help you review your progress.
- Closed captioned videos help students whose first language is not English.
- Connect to your ForeFlight logbook to log your written test endorsement.
- Redbird GIFT integration: use Sporty's course with Redbird simulators.
- Earn FAA WINGS credit and save on your insurance.
- Automatic updates mean you learn the latest information.
Free Demo - try the course online
The Aviation Consumer's top pick
“The course videos are professional, well-organized and come with a highly useful search function.”
“It’s nearly impossible to find fault with this course.”
“It puts worthy focus on aeronautical decision-making and real-world flying scenarios.”
“Our top pick... Its content is engaging, intuitive, highly portable and provides the greatest number of study options for all aspects of initial training.”
Attention flight schools
Want to use Sporty's courses in your flight school? We can help! Sign up to be a Sporty's Dealer and enjoy attractive wholesale pricing on many Sporty's training products. Our courses are used in dozens of flight schools every day, from small Part 61 schools to large Part 141-approved schools, and can improve both customer satisfaction and completion rates. Contact Mark Wiesenhahn with questions.
SPORTY'S PILOT TRAINING+
Want unlimited access to Sporty's courses plus free shipping and flight training scholarships? Join Sporty's Pilot Training+, an all-in-one membership program that includes access to our Learn to Fly Course, plus much more. Plans start at just $49/month. Click here for details
AVAILABLE ON ALL YOUR DEVICES, TRY FOR FREE:
Online Course using a web browser – Login here
iPhone/iPad in Sporty's Pilot Training app – Apple App Store
AppleTV app – 4th Generation AppleTV or newer
Android in Sporty's Pilot Training app – Google Play Store
RokuTV App – search for the Sporty's Pilot Training Channel on your Roku device
Fly at Sporty’s Academy
Stop dreaming and start flying at Sporty’s world headquarters in Cincinnati, Ohio. The same experienced, professional instructors that bring you Sporty’s award-winning pilot training courses on DVD or online are available to fly with you at the renowned Sporty’s Academy Flight Training Center – Clermont County Airport (I69). Whether you want to enroll in a training course to earn a pilot certificate or simply take a flight, Sporty’s Academy is here to serve your aviation needs in a fleet of impeccably maintained aircraft. SportysAcademy.com or email Fly@SportysAcademy.com.
Volume 1 - Your First Few Hours
- Intro / The Flight
- When Should You Fly
- Air Facts -- Weather Junkies
- Introduction to the Airplane
- Closer Look -- Training Airplanes
- Introduction to the Cockpit
- Closer Look -- Cockpit Variations
- Introduction to Airplane Engines
- Air Facts -- Engine TLC
- Fuel, Propeller, and Electrical System
- Closer Look -- Engine Variations
- Air Facts -- Purposeful Preflight
- Engine Start
- Air Facts -- Getting the Message
- Taxi, Run-up, Traffic Pattern
- Closer Look -- Wind Direction Indicators
- Closer Look -- Tower Controlled Airports
- Air Facts -- Takeoff Tips
- Four Fundamentals
- Air Facts -- Pitching and Turning
- Four Fundamentals (part 2)
- Air Facts -- The Proper Attitude
Volume 2 - Practicing Landings
- Ground Reference Maneuvers
- Closer Look -- Taxi Tips
- Air Facts -- Engine Suspicion
- Closer Look -- Angle Of Attack
- Slow Flight
- Closer Look -- Change Of Scenery
- Air Facts -- Stall Rhetoric
- Normal Landings
- Air Facts -- Down to Earth
- Takeoff & Landing Variations
Volume 3 - Your First Solo
- Pre-Solo Maneuvers
- Closer Look -- Flight Training Across the Pond
- Steep Turns
- Closer Look -- Touch and Go
- Air Facts -- Emergencies
- Fog & Atmospheric Pressure
- Thunderstorms and Flight Service Stations
- Closer Look -- Telephone Weather Briefings
- Air Facts -- Weatherwise
- The Pitot Static System
- Closer Look - The Pilot's Operating Handbook
- Runway Safety
- Closer Look -- Reducing Drag
- Thrust, Stability, & Center of Gravity
- Closer Look -- Phonetic Alphabet
- Federal Aviation Regulations
- Air Facts -- Eye to the Sky
- Student Pilot & Medical Certificate
- Air Facts -- Fit for Flight
Volume 4 - Your Dual Cross Countries
- Night Flying
- Air Facts -- The Night Shift
- Publications and Charts
- Air Facts -- Where Is It Really
- Flight Planning and Computations
- Air Facts -- Leave Yourself an Out
- VOR Navigation
- Global Positioning System (GPS)
- ADF Navigation
- Closer Look -- Line Crews
- Weather Theory
- Closer Look -- Weather Information
- Weather Data
- Closer Look -- Beehive Airports
- The Dual Cross Country Flight
- Closer Look -- Sporty's E6B
- Air Facts -- Finding the Logic
- Wrap Up - Going Places
Volume 5 - Your Solo Cross Countries
- Air Traffic Control
- Air Facts -- Getting to Know You
- Magnetic Compass
- Closer Look -- Controller Profile
- Performance Charts
- Air Facts -- When Enough's Not Enough
- Maximum Performance Takeoffs and Landings
- Closer Look -- Aviation Adages
- Federal Aviation Regulations
- More Weather Theory
- Air Facts -- Laying a Foundation
- More Weather Data
- Closer Look -- Practical Test Standards
- Basic Instrument Flying
- Air Facts -- Calm in the Clouds
- Flying Out of Trouble
- Air Facts -- Life's a Glitch, Then You Fly
- Lost and Found
Volume 6 - Private Pilot Test
- Rules to Fly By
- Air Facts -- Logbook Memories
- Closer Look -- Flying Maladies
- Flight Plans
- Closer Look -- Runway Markings
- Weight and Balance
- Air Facts -- A Balanced Approach
- Private Pilot Test: The Computer Test and Oral Exam
- Closer Look -- The AOPA
- The Flight Test
- Air Facts -- Flying Colors
- High Performance
- Cessna Skylane
- Closer Look -- Remote Communications
- Expanding Horizons
Also includes Recreational and Sport Pilot Learning tracks.
Course Update History
What's New in Version 7.0 - October 26, 2020
-Updated to the new Sporty's 2021 Learn to Fly Course
-New video segments: Sporty’s courses are famous for up-to-date HD video, and the 2021 edition adds plenty of new segments, including on using flight following with air traffic control, planning a cross-country flight with an iPad, and using ForeFlight’s Imagery tab.
-All-new online platform: Log into Sporty’s Pilot Training platform in your web browser and you’ll find an all-new look. The same great information is there, but it’s faster, easier to use, and completely mobile friendly.
-Test prep question search: Now you can build your own study session from any keyword you choose. Want to brush up on airspace? Just search for that phrase and start studying relevant questions.
-Microsoft Flight Simulator lessons: This detailed lesson guide is the bridge between Sporty’s course and the latest home flight simulator. Includes 14 suggested training flights, complete with objective, scenarios, and performance goals.
-Enhanced flashcard mode: Our new flashcard mode, for both written test and checkride prep, allows you to digitally flip the cards and see how well you’ve mastered important topics.
-ACS with embedded videos: The FAA’s Airman Certification Standards document is your guide to the checkride and only Sporty’s includes related video segments for each section—it’s the ultimate checkride preparation tool.
-Bring your own documents: Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course includes dozens of helpful FAA documents, but now you can upload your own files, whether it’s a scanned copy of your airplane’s manual or your flight school’s procedures.
-Video transcripts: Perfect for review sessions, or for students whose first language is not English, the course now includes complete transcripts for each video segment.
What's New in Version 6.1 - April 1, 2020
- Includes a new segment in Chapter 6 on flying High Performance and Complex airplanes.
- Added a Pre-Solo test to use your with your instructor in preparation for your first solo flight in an airplane.
What's New in Version 6.0 - October 21, 2019
Updated to the new Sporty's 2020 Learn to Fly Course
Adds ten new video segments covering the following topics
- Communications at towered and non-towered airports
- Advanced landing techniques, including how to handle crosswinds, no-flap landings and recovering from faulty landings
- How glass-cockpit systems work and how to fly with digital flight instruments
- Techniques for using the iPad during flight training
- How to use the Graphical Forecast for Aviation (GFA) weather resource
- New segment on flying high-performance and complex airplanesNew Test Prep Tools -
Sporty’s Pilot Training app, available for iOS and Android and included with your purchase, adds a number of powerful test prep tools. The app tracks your progress in multiple subject areas, so you can focus on your weakest topics for maximum efficiency. Once you’ve studied each area, create a study session based on all marked questions or all missed questions. You can also create a smart study session, where the app learns from your progress and creates customized quizzes to drill on topics that need improvement.
Test Prep Syncing -
All online and app platforms include a new syncing engine that allows you to resume and review all test prep sessions on any of your devices, regardless of where the session was started.Checkride Prep -
interactive Checkride Prep Flashcards are an easy way to test your knowledge of key subjects, ensuring you’ll be ready to talk about regulations, airspace, and systems. Next, a complete practical test checklist explains everything you need for the big day, from certificates to logbook entries. Finally, a special video segment shows you what to expect on the checkride, with tips from an active pilot examiner.New Smart TV Apps -
New for 2020, full Chromecast integration and an all-new RokuTV channel (in addition to our existing Apple TV app) mean you can watch Sporty’s videos almost anywhere.FAA Handbooks -
Adds access to over 25 popular FAA resources. From the Airplane Flying Handbook to important Advisory Circulars, it’s all here - over $300 in books for free. In the Pilot Training app, you can view full resolution color PDFs and use powerful document tools like bookmarks and search to organize your studying.
This is a free update for all existing users, and new customers will get lifetime updates after purchase.
June 7, 2019
The Learn to Fly Course in the mobile Pilot Training app for iOS and Android now includes all the FAA Handbooks for convenient studying. These are viewable in a new powerful document reader in both app platforms, that allows for easier reading, searching and bookmarking when viewing each document.
What's New in Version 5.4 - February 15, 2019
Five new video segments added covering pilot communication procedures at non-towered airports, Class B, Class C, Class D airspace and airports, and en route communications with ATC.
What's New in Version 5.3 - January 31, 2019
New Sporty's Roku Pilot Training Channel allows you to access the Learn to Fly Course on the popular Roku smartTV platform. Also adds Chromecast support for the Android version of the Pilot Training app.
What's New in Version 5.2 - December 23, 2018
The iPhone and iPad apps were updated with an improved Test Prep interface. The new design includes colorblind accessibility enhancements and provides a better experience when studying for FAA tests on the iPhone's smaller screen.
What's New in Version 5.1 - December 7, 2018
The Android app now includes complete FAA test prep features, allowing you to study test prep questions, answers and detailed explanations for the Private, Sport and Recreational Pilot tests. The app also now allows you to take simulated practice tests and earn your knowledge test endorsement based on your Android test results.
- Requires Chrome, Safari, FireFox, Internet Explorer or iPad/Android web browser
- iOS app requires iOS 11 or higher
- AppleTV app requires 4th generation AppleTV or newer
- Accepted for FAA Wings Credit
Free Flying with ForeFlight Course
ForeFlight Mobile has become the most popular app for pilots, with a mix of powerful features and an easy-to-use interface. But like any software, there’s a lot to learn and some time spent learning the basics can really pay off. That’s why Sporty’s developed this comprehensive ForeFlight training video, packed jargon-free tips and real world shortcuts. It’s ideal for prospective users, new ForeFlight pilots and experienced pros alike.
- Learn how to download the app and start a subscription
- See all the powerful moving map features in action, including data-driven maps and terrain alerts
- Go in depth with the route editor to learn how to choose the right route
- Find out how to keep your digital charts up to date
- Learn the preflight iPad checklist you should use every time
- Get tips for using wireless iPad accessories with ForeFlight
- Fly along on a real trip to see everything in action
- Review quiz reinforces key concepts
- Printable iPad checklist for preflight preparation
- FAA Advisory Circular 91-78 included
- Includes the complete Pilot's Guide to ForeFlight manual